Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fruit Appears

source



A friend sent this scripture to me the other morning...

But what happens when we live God's way?
 He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard - things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity.
 We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness  permeates things and people.
 We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.
Galatians 5:22-23 (the message)


It was a very timely word for me because on Monday I am entering a new season with different responsiblities and I'm not quite sure how it's all going to go scheduling wise.  A season that has all 3 of my boys in school full-time...Kindergarten, 2nd grade and 4th grade.  A season where I'm not needed to be a stay-at-home mom.  That's a huge change for me because that's been my primary role for over 9 1/2 years and I was comfortable with it.  Still, I'll be here for them in the mornings to get them off to school and when school lets out, I'll be in the carline to bring them home, but in between my days will be different.  I'm nervous and I'll miss not having one at home, but I also am gaining a bit of excitement for what the season holds. 

As I prayed all this year about what I was to do, anticipating this new season coming, two jobs plopped into my lap over the past few months.  These jobs felt right and work perfectly with my family's needs.  I knew that they were answers to my prayers.  But still there's been this nagging anxiousness that has me questioning, how am I going to do all of this?  How am I going to juggle all of these hats?  Mommy, wife, home manager, children's ministry leader, 3-year-old teaching assistant, student (gotta take a college course for one of the jobs), volunteering in each boy's classroom, PTA vice-president, friend, writer, etc.

The thought of juggling schedules and doing it all well has been wearing on me before I even begin.  I was forgetting that I spent the past year praying for this season.  Praying for God's direction and will for me and my schedule.  He's the One who's brought me into each of these things; He's given me the hats to wear. How then, can I put each of them on and forget to look to the One who gave them in the first place?  Scary how easy it is to attempt to take this on in my own power and knowledge and forget the One from whom all wisdom comes.

He knew and so He turns my head back towards Him with His word...
  
And my anxious heart is soothed by the promises for those who live God's way...even in a new season.
Promises that He brings gifts like fruit that appears in the orchard.  I love how the scripture says appears...like it just shows up one day.
Gifts like affection for my children, my husband, my friends, the children I care for and minister to.  Exuberance for life and serenity even when my days are packed with activity.  A willingness to stick with the things He's given me, even when it feels hard.  A deep sense of compassion in my heart for those around me, even 13 little 3-year-olds.  A conviction that believes a basic holiness permeates my labor and the people in my charge.  An ability to remain and be loyal to the duties and people I've committed myself to.  And maybe even best of all, no need to force my way in life.  Trusting that because He's made the way, I am able to direct my skills and energies wisely.  All I need do is rest in Him and let this new season begin.  

So, whatever season you find yourself in, know that if you're doing what God has called you to do, He will cause you to bear fruit.  No effort of your own can bring it about, at least not the lasting, satisfying kind of fruit.  All you need to do is rest on His Vine and watch the fruit appear. 


This was just the kind of reminder I needed this week. 

  
source


Is this your first visit to Freedom Friday? 
We're embracing freedom each Friday here in 2012.
Click here for a list of the other posts in the series.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...