Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Dreams



 Lately my days have been cluttered and full.
  Busy days, endless to-dos, end of school year activities, phone calls, emails, friendships, parties, kids, husband, me?, groceries, errands, cooking, house projects, clutter, baseball games, late nights, ministry, planning, meetings, deadlines...and, oh my, this house is a wreck!

Lots of good and necessary things in there, but sometimes it seems too much and I get cranky and exhausted and just want to escape...
I feel on the edge.

What to do when all you want to do is escape?

I've imagined making time stop so I can have a time-out and catch up while all is frozen in pause-button-stillness.  Ahhh, now that would be nice, but let's get real, it's not going to happen.

But as I sit here watching the sunrise on the last day of 1st and 3rd grade for my 2 older boys, I dream.  Summer break is upon us and oh how we can use the break.  Remember the excitement you felt as a child when school let out and summer began?  A whole stretch of days laid out before you with endless possibility and fun.  Each morning the warm sun woke you up to a day of fun and anticipation.  The only decisions you made were which friends to play with and what games to play.  I have so many memories of being outside all day riding bikes, swimming, playing 4-square, chinese jumprope, hide-n-seek, and barbies with my sisters and neighbors.  We went out after breakfast and only came in at meal times just to run right back out after the meal was over.

  Days full of laughter and fun. 
It seemed as though time stood still. 

As this summer is about to begin I decide to try something new.  Focus on my inner kid.  I don't mean anything new-agey by that.  I just want to approach this summer like I did when I was a little girl, all full of possibilities.  

So, today, even though my house is a wreck and my boys will be getting out of school at 11:30am, I'm going to set aside some time to sit outside in the sun and dream.  I'm going to make a list of things that would bring me joy to do this summer.  Yes, I'm still mommy to 3 active boys, still wife to a hard-working husband, still home manager and business manager, still children's ministry leader, but, I'm realizing that inside of me there's still a girl who longs for fun and creativity and beauty.  A girl who likes to read a good story, create beauty with her hands and words and spend time laughing with friends.  This girl wants to get lost in the possibility of a whole stretch of days.
  
Days full of laughter and fun.
  Days that seem as though time stands still.

Join me?
Set aside some time today to search your heart and make a list of things that would bring you joy to do this summer.


Is this your first visit to Freedom Friday?
We're embracing freedom each Friday here in 2012.
Click here for a list of the other posts in the series.


   


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...